International Sourcing and Procurement for Public Entities
Business Dictionary defines global sourcing as, “A procurement strategy in which business seeks to find the most cost-effective location for manufacturing a product, even if the location is in a foreign country” However the process of international sourcing and procurement is not as it is easily defined.
International sourcing and procurement is more than just sourcing products internationally, it is improvement- with supplier selection and performance, appraising product costs, speed-to-market, trade compliance, auditing and many other factors. This course seeks to address the so many challenges that exist in global supply chain networks so that participants can be able to unlock the tremendous value through improved knowledge and skills on how to execute international procurement transactions efficiently and effectively.
This course emphasizes the application of the six guiding principles or the “Rs” of supply chain and execution, that is, The Right Product, the Right Partner, the Right Place, the Right Price, the Right Time and the Right Compliance. While costs should be considered in choosing a supplier, other factors too should be put into consideration.
The course is designed for; Buyers, Assistant Buyers, Procurement Assistants/Officers/Managers, Logistics Assistants/Officers/Managers, Project Administrator/Managers, Operations officers, Financial personnel, Entrepreneurs, and other personnel whose duties and responsibilities include the conducting, supervision, or management of international sourcing and procurement for public entities, private and public corporates and any other organizations deriving their procurement resources from public funds including donor funded programmes. Other well-wishers intending to broaden their knowledge are also welcome.
Upon completion of this workshop, the delegates should be able to:
- Distinguish between;
- Public procurement and other forms of procurement
- International sourcing and procurement and domestic sourcing and procurement
- Understand the public procurement environment
- Appreciate the determinants of procurement methods and be able to apply them effectively
- Understand the growth cycle and how this has influenced international trade.
- Understand and appreciate the roles of international bodies influencing the regulation of international trade
- Appreciate the benefits obtained from efficiently adopting international sourcing and procurement for public entities.
- Understand the process of international sourcing and procurement and be able to conduct it effectively.
- Understand the role of international commercial terms and be able to apply them effectively in transactions.
- Understand the factors affecting the choice of mode of transport in international transactions
- Understand the standard transport documentation for each mode.
- Identify and understand the roles of each stake holder in international procurement transactions
- Appreciate the role of information technology in international sourcing and procurement process and be able to apply the various programmes effectively
- Be able to identify potential risks associated with international procurement transactions and how each can be mitigated