Leadership, Good Governance and Financial Management in the Public Sector
In the face of the global financial crisis and in most economies, public expenditure forms a significant part of gross domestic product (GDP) and public sector entities are substantial employers and major capital market participants. The public sector determines, usually through a political process, the outcomes it wants to achieve and the different types of intervention. These include enacting legislation or regulations; delivering goods and services; redistributing income through mechanisms such as taxation or social security payments; and the ownership of assets or entities, such as state owned enterprises.
Effective Leadership, good governance and Financial Management in the public sector encourages better financial decision making and the efficient use of resources and strengthens accountability for the stewardship of those resources. Effective governance is characterized by robust scrutiny, which provides important pressures for improving public sector performance and tackling corruption. Effective governance can improve management, leading to more effective implementation of the chosen interventions, better service delivery, and, ultimately, better outcomes. People’s lives are thereby improved.
This training course in intended for middle and senior level public sector staff involved with leadership, governance and financial management in the public sector environment
Upon completing this workshop, the delegates should be able to:
- Develop a comparison of leadership in the public sector organizations and institutions and the impact of leadership in such entities.
- Assess practical leadership skills, implement and lead change management initiatives in different organizations.
- Implement effective Internal Control Systems (ECS) to have early detection mechanism of fraud in public sector organizations.
- Perform and analyse enterprise risks associated with poor governance practices with the public sector
- Maintain effective Financial Management and ensure the principles of public financial management are followed in the organization
- Implement performance-based budgeting for government units, departments and projects